Smurf & Smurfette Tri
Michael Kimpton - First Ironman at 66!!
July 05, 2021
Smurf & Smurfette
Join endurance athletes Smurf & Smurfette and their special guests as they talk through all things endurance sport, whether it be training, nutrition, balance, equipment, racing and much much more!
On this week's podcast, Smurf talks with first time Ironman athlete Michael Kimpton. Retired and based in Airlie Beach in Queensland, Michael just complete his first Ironman at Ironman Cairns...at 66 years old!!! We talk with Michael about;
- Growing up with sports and encountering a setback with a significant motorcycle accident
- Getting back on his feet and his first triathlon in his late twenties
- Taking up triathlon again in 2016, 30 years after his first triathlon
- Training and nutrition for older age group athletes
- 70.3 racing and 70.3 World Championships in Nice 2019
- Preparing for his first Ironman
- The pre-race week nerves and preparations
- Finishing his first Ironman and hearing Pete Murray call him across the finish line
- Picking up a Kona qualifying slot!!
Run Like A Girl
Smurf & Smurfette Instagram Page
Smurf & Smurfette Facebook Page